Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Poem Of Mine

I've always enjoyed attempting poems, but rarely share them because they're too personal or I think they're awful. Anyhow, I do have one that I absolutely love, though I wrote it back in 2008.

Untitled

I feel the heat rise from
your skin
And I smell the wind in your hair
I touch your every
muscle
And I see the ocean in your eyes
I taste the salt
from your body
So when I'm home without you
I'll remember the wind
in my face
And I'll feel your body move
I'll sense your heat
against me
And remember how you taste
I'll remember your ocean
And how it ran through me
(c)


{Photo cred. goes my awesome cousin!}

The last line always gets me. It just doesn't sound right, but maybe I'm just a little pervy. Well, actually, I know that's true. Just know it's not meant that way! I'd love hear your comments on it, good and bad!

Like I said, this was a while ago, but since I'm on the poetry topic I'll keep rolling. I really, really, got super into poetry last semester with my African American literature class. I am now addicted. I never sold any of those books back, and actually bought a bunch more! I especially love the book The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan. Translated by Jane Hirshfield. (To view: http://us.nicebooks.com/ISBN/9780679729587). Though these poems are a thousand years old they still are so relateable and even funny! If, you find humor in odd things I suppose...Another poet that inspires me is Sonia Sanchez (for her bio: http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/276). Huge activist and feminist to put it shortly. I even got to meet her and have her sign my books of hers! Quite an interesting, inspiring, and goofball of a woman.

Sonia Sanchez said something along the lines of "If we can feel another's heart beat, knowing they are like us, how can we hurt them?" while giving a demonstration. I'll post the link once I get the video up.

Anyhow, so if I ever share any future poems on here, these three women are were I take inspiration from. Not only in poetry, but, sometimes, in life.

Peace&Love

No comments:

Post a Comment